Pell Grant funding is unlimited, meaning each student who qualifies will be able to get money. SEOG grants are different: each college or university receives a set amount of SEOG grant money.

Don’t Miss Your Opportunity– Learn How to Apply for an FSEOG Before Funding Runs Out!

Even if a student qualifies for an FSEOG grant, they may not be able to get any money if they apply too late. And since college financial aid offices award SEOG grants, each school will have its own deadline for applying.

This means you have to apply for an SEOG grant immediately to make sure you get all the financial aid you qualify for.

Like the Pell Grant, the SEOG grant is a form of federal student aid. So this means you just have to fill out the FAFSA online to find out if you qualify for a Pell Grant, SEOG grant and any other type of federal student aid. After submitting the application, you’ll find out if you qualify within 3-5 days. Your eligibility for an FSEOG grant – and your FSEOG grant amount – will be based on:

  • Your household’s total income and assets.
  • When you apply.
  • Other types of aid you receive, like a Pell Grant.
  • The amount of SEOG money your school still has.

The FSEOG is not available at all schools. Before applying, check with your school’s financial aid office to see if they offer this grant.

If you do qualify, you can receive $100 to $4,000 a year, depending on a few things: the availability of funds at your desired school and the amount of aid you will actually receive. Once your school runs out of funds, they cannot provide any other students this particular grant.

Your award may be disbursed at least one time per term, whether that is per semester, trimester or quarter. For schools that do not use semesters, trimesters or quarters, the disbursement of funds will be at least two times per academic year. 

If you are an incoming freshman, and the school you want to go to is awarding you a lower FSEOG amount, then you should speak to the Financial Aid Office and inquire about getting an increase. Provide the financial aid office with a copy of the award letters that list a higher FSEOG and attach a letter requesting an increase. 

For returning students, if your FSEOG has been reduced, you may write an appeal. Although Federal need-based funding varies each year, it doesn’t hurt to try.

By Admin