The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grants (TEACH) is exclusively available to students seeking a career in teaching. This grant can reduce out-of-pocket education expenses by up to $4,000 each year. However, unlike many other education grants, it comes with a service obligation.

You must complete a FASFA each year that you wish to apply for a TEACH grant. If you qualify for the grant program, you will need to complete a TEACH Grant Initial and Subsequent Counseling every year. This mandatory counseling will review the conditions of the grant with you.

Qualifying for Other Education Grants and Free Money for Students

Back 5 of 5

Additionally, you will be required to sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve or Repay. With this agreement, you agree to meet service-obligation terms to receive the grant. Should you fail to meet these terms after you have left school, the grant will automatically become a loan, and you will be responsible for its repayment.

Undergraduate students who exhibit a financial need may qualify for Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), which award students with up to $4,000 annually. Like the TEACH grant, you will need to complete a FASFA to see if you qualify for this form of financial aid. Some of the eligibility requirements for FSEOG include:

  • That you are a U.S. citizen
  • That you maintain a qualifying GPA
  • That you are enrolled in your first bachelor’s degree program

The majority of funding for FSEOG comes from the United States government. However, a portion of the funds come from the school. Therefore, many schools limit the amount of funding that can be provided by students and the school may run out of funding before the end of the academic year.

You may qualify for additional education grants if you are the child of a military parent or guardian that died in Afghanistan or Iraq after 9/11. To qualify for the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant, you must be under 24 or you were enrolled in college when the qualifying parent or guardian died.

The maximum amount you can receive for this education grant is currently set at $6,495. However, you can receive this grant even if you are not eligible to receive Pell Grants due to your Expected Family Contribution. 

In addition to education grants, you may be able to reduce your education expenses by participating in a federal work-study program. These programs give you the opportunity to earn money that’s used towards your education expenses. Work-study jobs are part-time and will generally align with your school schedule and field of study.

The amount you receive is dependent on the hours that you work. Like many grant opportunities, it’s important to apply to work-study programs as early as possible as space is limited.

Back 5 of 5

By Admin